Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Part IV: Back-->ab-->back pain

If you had a time-lapse video recorder focused on my desk at work, you would see me start the day sitting on my chair. After about an hour, the chair would be pushed back and I would continue working at the computer standing and occasionally arching and flexing my back. I would then proceed to a squatting position--still typing--until my legs became numb and I would take a lap around my desk to loosen up before returning to the chair. This cycle would continue throughout the day except that I am usually obliged to attend one or two meetings where the majority of attendees think it appropriate to sit down for consecutive amounts of time. In these situations, you will see me scooting to the front of my chair on occasion and arching my back as imperceptibly as possible.
The trouble with all this back arching is that inevitably by the end of the day I have gone to such lengths to relieve the stress on my back, that I have strained my ab muscles in the process. Now I am forced to switch between the pain in my back to the pain in my abs or to try to find the exact position which puts no pressure on either. This has become the main activity that fills my evenings: finding a position that eases the pain until I can manage to go to sleep. Sometime during the course of the evening, I also need to get up to eat something, but I have already written about the difficulty of that duty.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

So funny, but so sad. More sad.... I love reading your descriptions, but I don't love you having to experience it. So sorry! Is she on a nerve? Poor Mommy!